I can tell by the looks on peoples faces, mainly sympathetic women with the "I so know how that feels" smile, that I appear to be in pain at all times. It is not so much pain as simple unease. At any given moment, Westbrook is kicking, headbutting, or twisting around inside. A quick peak at myself in any mirror throughout the day reveals that I have given up all hope of trying to look ravishing and have shamelessly settled for the no makeup, ponytail, sweatpants look.
Also, have graduated from a pregnant waddle to a bobble.
Waddling implies to me that I am moving at a constant wobbly pace when I, in fact, am moving unevenly from side to side barely bending my knees. Other than the looks are the lovely comments I get. No longer to people say with a smile "When are you due?" they say "How much longer?" or "The last few weeks are the worst!" One poor woman, the greeter at CMC, approached me when I was headed to Drew's room with the question "Do you need a wheelchair?" I was shocked to say the least! Wade was dropping me off at the front door and I thought (incorrectly I guess) that I had been rather springy in my exit from the car. I guess I actually fell from the front seat into my bobble while holding my belly and the tiny elbow protruding from my side, hence the assumption that I was in labor.
In other news: The big ultrasound is today!!!!! I am really excited to see how he looks and get an estimate on his size. I will update the blog ASAP once we get home. I have been researching the pants off of c-sections and am almost coming to terms with the idea should the surgery happen. I am just so excited that we could be meeting him as early as Friday! Mom is being huge help by washing all his clothes, I have officially signed us up for the diaper service, and Wade moved the baby essentials into our room Sunday night. I had so much trouble sleeping that night so I simply laid in bed starring at the silhouette of the Amby and changing table in the window. It makes it so much more real to have them in here. I am consumed with trying to imagine what he is going to look like and what his personality will be.
Speaking of sleep or the lack there of, I finally came up with a way to put myself back to sleep after waking up with a Westbrook attack... Cake. Lately when I wake up in the middle of the night it takes me forever to go back to sleep because there is too much to think about... work, Drew, West, life with a baby, c-sections, etc. I have become a sleepless stress ball. Way too late last night/this morning I realized that if I could just distract myself from the daily drama than I might be able to go back to sleep. Hence the cake.
Originally I was wishing we had some cake for a midnight/2am/4am/6am snack but then- BAM- asleep. No specific cake, just the idea of cake apparently will put me back to bed. Doesn't that make me sound a little insane? Well I am insane due to sleepless nights. My mind will wake up to think about the serious things going on in life but the second I would start to think about something as trivial as cake I was out like a light! I am sure it is hard for anyone to imagine why this is exciting but it is and no amount of laughter from the peanut gallery is going to change my mind. I almost can't wait to go to sleep tonight to see if this little trick of mine works again! Since you are all on the edges of your seats, I will keep you posted!
Good luck today!!! I can't wait to see what the ultrasound results are! Maybe you can even see his little face and get a hint of what he will look like :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, your Cake theory sounds wonderful. It wouldn't work for me, because I would start obsessing about how soon I can get said cake and how good it would taste, and if I have enough milk....well, you get it.
Don't forget that I have more clothes for West. If you don't have him on Friday, then I'll bring them by this weekend. If so, we'll just figure something else out :)
I also went to the hospital (twice) in my ninth month. All the nurses faces registered sheer panic, it was great fun!
Hi Mary -
ReplyDeleteI'm Amy, Rachel's friend from college. I had a c-section with my son Andrew and couldn't be more thankful for it. C-sections and epidurals are from the throne of heaven. It only took me 5 hours of contractions to realize this. Good luck and Congratulations! You're about to experience what "true love" really is.