Tuesday, April 25

We need a fireman!

Between Wade and I, we have approximately 35 years of schooling, 9 of which are still being repaid in loans, plus I spent two horrible weeks one summer attending math camp. Wade is a real life MacGyver when it comes to fixing and rigging things and I have been known to be a slightly clever problem solver myself. I have no idea what our individual IQ's are, however I am sure that at the very least the combined value would equal one certified genius- although truth be told we could not solve a Rubik’s Cube together or apart.

So while we have been known at some point or another to cake walk through calculus, recite the constitution, and stop a mad man from high jacking a plane using nothing more than gum and a paperclip, (oh wait, that really was MacGyver but Wade hooked up our stereo system no problemo) - we can not install a %&*$$%$^ car seat!

We spent almost 2 hours in the garage last night sweating half to death pulling, tugging, cursing, kicking, and positioning... all we have to show for it is a car seat sitting on the garage floor and two almost parents going to bed completely defeated and shamed. We didn't think it would easy, but we didn't expect to get our tails kicked nearly this bad. Car seat 1, parents 0.

In our defense: The directions were not very clear, the photos were the size of my thumbnail, parts of the seat were not explained or labeled at all (yet they were referenced in the directions) and once all the hieroglyphics were deciphered the car seat bounced around in the back seat like an amusement ride. We followed the car seat directions the best we could, referenced the internet, pulled out the car owners manual for car specific tricks, and we were still left with a seat of death.

So today we are going to the fire station, with bruises and sore arms, to ask a big brawny fire fighter to ignore a burning building to give a bunch of idiots like us their first "Idiot's Guide to Parenting" lesson on child safety.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:41 PM

    To be really honest, I STILL don't know how to hook up Lily's carseat. The fireman did it the first time and Devin's done it ever since. I would also like to point out that my carseat is a heck of a lot simpler than yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I ever did learn how to properly install a car seat. With the new laws, my son is still in one. They have to be in a booster until the are 4 ft 9in tall. They have those days that you can take your car to a designated spot, and the firemen install carseats in peoples cars all day long. That works for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have never put our car seat in, so I think it's awesome you even tried! You should go to the car seat check on Statesville. They will install it for you, and then if you come back a month later and show them you can do it yourself, they give you a $25 gift card to Babies R Us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the guy at REX hospital install ours the first time (he is the carseat guru for REX and will not let you leave the hospital with an improperly installed carseat). And of course Stan was the one that watched him and got the installing tips. When we moved Kirby up to his big boy carseat it was all me and Larry. And yes, I too made a visit to see some firemen. But I really like Leslie's idea that gets you a BRU gift card. That could come in handy. And if no argument resulted in the carseat defeat, you get extra parenting bonus points. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:55 PM

    Whew. I am glad that I have five very bright mommies exposing me to the potential horror of installing a car seat. Now I won't feel like such an idiot when it happens to me while attempting this stunt in a couple years.

    ReplyDelete