Thursday, May 4

I did a bad, bad thing.

While the family is in Durham, I am watching the dogs for Mom and Dad. Each morning I take my dogs to play with their dogs- which makes four hyperactive, attention craving dogs total. It really is no big deal since I just throw them out back and let them run themselves into the ground, well except for Ebi who is 10. She just likes to sit in my lap while I watch TV.

For some asinine reason, I tuned into A Baby Story a few days ago and now must start everyday with a dose of pure torture. This show follows a family through the labor and delivery process. Back in the day when Wade and I had cable, I watched this show all the time and was never once bothered by the L&D. However, given that the birth is in my immediate future- this show terrifies me yet I have the TiVo set to record the stupid show every time it airs. Like a gory car accident, I have to watch even though afterwards I am sick to my stomach and have a headache. No matter how sick I feel, I just keep watching! Best part of the torture, I fast forward through the mushy parts and just watch the screaming, yelling, crying parts. Pure torture! I have no idea why I am doing this to myself.

So far I have watched a woman scream "Why God, Why?" (she had an epi, not sure what the problem was), another woman scream "Stop, stop, just stop! I don't wanna do this anymore" (she also had an epi), one where they ended in an emergency c-section, and then a mother on her 5th birth talking to the doctor while the baby apparently just fell out. The last mom was literally just repeating "I can't wait to meet him, this is so emotional" while the doctor said "Good, good, now he is almost here." And then bam, a baby was there without a bead of sweat on the mom's forehead.

Aside from the last lady, who was clearly crazy, these birth stories have made me rethink the whole 'hurry up and get here' philosophy that Wade and I have taken lately. In fact before I even started watching the show I started to freak out a little. The other night it just all the sudden hit me that I was actually going to have to give birth! Soon, really, really soon! It was the first time it seemed like a reality. Sounds stupid I know, but you just get so caught up in the pregnancy, the tiny clothes, and the stretch marks that you forget that one day you have to, ya know, birth the child!

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:19 PM

    You are so right! For me, 40 weeks was my end-goal...then I remembered that an 8 lb baby must actually EXIT my body one way or another. Luckily, nature plays this fun game where: a) L&D may or may not suck, but hormones make you forget it in a few weeks and b) you will say "it was all worth it" at least 40 times a day for years!

    Also, I DVR'd every episode of Baby Story, Babies:Special Delivery, House of Babies, and even Adoption Story. I was the opposite, I would fast forward thru the pain, and get to the part when they hand the mom the baby and everyone is all mushy and crying.

    Just tell yourself, if it was THAT horrible, people would *not* do it more than once! You'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary I have every confidence that you will be absolutely fine. Just think of it as this will be just the first of many sacrifices that you will gladly go through for your precious child. It's one of those things moms do. Plus at least you are having the realization of birth now, I didn't have it until I was in the hospital and then I had a bit of a panic attack. And I agree with Lora, you forget so quickly and women would never do it multiple times if it was that bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous3:59 PM

    Always remember that this is pain that is limited by time- the average length of the real "discomfort" is 3 hours. Labor might last 18-24 hours but you can tolerate anything for a day! You know it will end! The world is full of people and they all do have mothers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read on Drew's blog that you are at the hospital and going to have West tonight! I'm so excited for you. I am praying for you. I can't wait to see pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous9:44 PM

    OMG!!!! I am so excited for you! By the time you read this, West will be here!!!!

    ReplyDelete