Worst of all...
I bribed the kids at Target with new toys. Here is Llandis with her booty of Mickey Mouse dolls. In my shallow defense, the dolls were less than $1. And why four dolls when I only have two kids... they both have two hands. When they are fussy and don't want to ride while I calculate which brand of TP is a better deal, heaven help us if Llandis doesn't have one toy for each hand.

I don't know why I thought I could avoid all of the above. Did I think I had figured out the magic way to raise kids with out ketchup or bribery? It isn't possible. Even if you (yes you-judgemental mommy of one or nine who hasn't gone there yet) think it will never happen... one day you will be at Target walking in circles trying desperately to remember why you came in the first place because you KNOW what you need is important. The kids will be screaming, the old ladies giving you the control-your-kids-death-stare, and suddenly four 50 cent Mickey's will be look like shining stars of mercy on the sale rack. There is a reason parents do all of the above...survival.
Are you the mother you thought you would be?
Isn't that the truth? Hey, you held out way longer than me. Lily is having a frozen meal for lunch. For like the 3rd time this week. Afterwards, I'm taking her to a movie with lots and lots of chocolate. I used said movie to "encourage" to clean up :)
ReplyDeleteYou just made my day. Thanks for the honesty.
ReplyDeleteOK, so I'm just glad to read that I'm not the only one. Our survival methods look a little different (we don't have access very often to microwave and other quickie meals and cable here just adds maybe one channel in English) but my boys have several movies memorized and we bribe most days. Thanks for posting this!
ReplyDeleteSo my first instinct is to say - "I FEEL VINDICATED!!" then as a mom, I too remember those things I would never do and how making exceptions was out of survival as well. The message - know when you are making the exceptions - know when not too. Ketchep, morning tv, french fries - admit not the healthiest but no where near "poor mothering" - raising happy, healthy babies & a sane mom/dad is a series of compromises - choose your battles wisely - there will be many. Proud of you baby!
ReplyDeleteMom aka Gram
OMG, i thought the minivan was the end of it? i hope i am half the parents you guys are.
ReplyDelete