Sunday, October 4

Night Night Kisses

Like any parent, I always worry that my kids don't grasp how much I love them. Sure I tell them all day long and give them every kiss I can plus a few extra since WB sometimes "takes them off." I do everything I can to let them know they are the most loved little people on earth but I also get frustrated with them. I get tired of them spitting their milk or leaving blocks underfoot. I get angry which means no one in the house is happy. Although to be honest I am normally angry at myself for letting them get too hungry, tired, or out of control. All we can do, as parents, is give them all we have in the hope that it sinks in and sticks.

Lately, both kids have been role playing their bedtime routine. They spend several minutes* rocking, singing, and "shhhh"ing Rocko** to sleep. Tonight, Llandis sang "Night Night Uh Huh Rocko Rocko Rocko Night Night Love Rocko." They give hugs. They give kisses. They switch Rockos and give more kisses. They gently put their baby doll down in the bed of choice... fireplace, cradle, crib, under the couch. Belly pats are given while they pull up blankies. Finally, they sing a little more and tip toe away.

They put their babies to sleep the way we put our babies to sleep- songs, hugs, kisses, pats, and tip toes. They do it with so much tenderness that it makes me feel like we might just be getting through to them. The love we are trying to give them is making it in, filling them up and they are giving it back.

Makes me happy. Very, very happy.

*several minutes=hours in toddler time
**All baby dolls are called Rocko

No comments:

Post a Comment