Sunday, April 23

Proof that pregnancy was created by a man...

The best way to get the baby to drop is to walk and do laps on the stairs. The sooner the baby drops, the sooner mom pops. Walking and stair taking present a few problems for a pregnant woman like me:

1: Walking/Stairs promote Braxton Hicks contractions. The only way to stop the sometimes painful & always uncomfortable contractions AND the only way to know if they are just the practice version or the real thing is to lie down on your side. It is really difficult to find a good spot to rest in most situations unless you’re walking around your bed (this would make me dizzy) or climbing the stairs so often found in the average bedroom (yeah, right). Instead, you hold on to someone’s arm, mailbox, clothing rack, or grocery cart and wait for the contractions to stop. As soon as you resume walking, the contractions come back.

2: The theory behind walking/stairs to help the baby drop is that as you walk the baby is pushed down, hence the more you walk the lower and lower the baby will get. Problem... the more you walk, the lower the baby, the more pressure on your bladder. So now you are having contractions and need to find a bathroom.

3: Next problem, standing up for too long no matter what the activity will cause your feet and hands to swell. The only way to relieve the swelling is to put your feet up.

Inevitably, half way through any walk I start having Braxton Hicks contractions and need to stop but I have to go to the bathroom so bad I just want to go home quickly. Once at home I speed to the bathroom, notice my ankles are swollen and have to decide if I am going to put up my feet and continue contracting or lay down on my side, stop contracting, and have my ankles tighten into cankles.

Seriously this whole process was created by a man. I won't even get into the injustice of pregnancy induced clumsiness paired with the inability to bend over and pick things up.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:59 AM

    Poor Mary!! The good news is, you're in the home stretch, almost 38 weeks!

    I admire you for even trying the stairs/walking thing. I considered it a sport to simply walk from my bed to the bathroom. You are quite an athlete!

    And of course, there's that other way to bring on contractions (*wink, wink*). It also requires less energy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I concur with Lora - the fact that your attempting to walk up stairs is monumental. And there is the other way, too....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say- the fact that the "other way" is a way at all is also strong proof that pregnancy was created by a man!

    ReplyDelete